Friday, January 9, 2009

What have I been up to?!

*Merry Christmas*

My holidays here in Bangkok have of course been nothing short of amazing! I got to spend my Christmas with my lovely friends Erin and Leah where we first began our days off in the wonderful outdoors!
We began in Kanchanaburi and spent about 4 days taking in the sights of the mountains and the river. The city of Kanchanaburi is a small town just waiting for foreigners to take advantage of all it has to offer. There are many types of restaurants but one in particular was an amazing Indian restaurant where our tastebuds got a break from the norm of Thai food. Since we wanted to be able to see everything we decided to rent some motor bikes! However it didn't take long to decide that motor bikes should be left to the pros, so we rented bicycles.
Our first day began with the Tiger Temple! It was like a canyon where about 10 tigers were sitting for the eager visitors to take some snapshots by. We got to walk with the Tigers as they lead them each to their cages, but watch out! Becuase the male tiger was marking the road as he was slowly led to his destination. Next, we got to do a little shopping and walked across the famous River Kwai bridge. Then our last day we did a little hiking. I was very excited to finally get out in the open air and some exercise at the Erawan Waterfalls. These waterfalls has seven tiers where you are able to hike to the very top. I have never seen water so blue! The water was crystal clear letting you able to see the very bottom of each water hole. We stopped a few times to take a dip after the long hot climb. The monkeys and fish is what you had to watch out for, however?! Monkeys were literally 5 feet away from the visitors! And we were told to watch out due to their "quick hands". What they would do with your camera is beyond me?! Then the fish enjoyed nipping at your feet in the water, I couldnt help but scream everytime they poked me!
My Christmas was spent at the Pratunam shopping malls and markets. Where Ash, Leah, Erin, Amanda and I got to do a little Christmas shopping for ourselves. Then we went to CentralWorld mall to watch the new movie Australia. Our day was completed by going out to eat at the famous Hard Rock Cafe.

*Happy New Year*

I am blessed to have such great friends! Ash and I both spent New Years eve in the airport where we were anxiously waiting for Rebecca! So we brought a New Year's greeting to her the second she walked out of the gate. We made a huge sign out of cardboard, just in case she wouldn't recognize us?! Then we had and embarrassing costume of "Happy New Year" headbands and flashy garland around our neck. People in the airport were curious as to who we were waiting for. We got many funny looks...
After getting about 4 hours of sleep the night before, we left to catch a bus to complete our New Year celebration. We went to the Eastern coast of Thailand to a small island called Koh Samed. We spent the short 3 days lying on the beach, swimming in the cool blue salt water, taking in the scenery and just enjoying the time to catch up with one another. Since we left the island we have been very busy going around to show Rebecca the great sights of Bangkok.

Currently I am back in school and slowly getting back in the groove of things. With only three months and three weeks left I am slowly realizing my time here is coming to a close. My New Year resolution is to enjoy life to the fullest and live every day to God's Will. I pray for patience and perseverence to get me through the rest of the days.

No comments: